DGV Nav

Friday, November 30, 2012

Favorite Thing: Mercury Glass

Sorry, no freaky find Fiday today.  In some ways that's a good thing, right?  No atrocities for the time being (even though I'm sure I could have found something had I looked hard enough).
Instead, here is something pretty for a change...

Don't you just love mercury glass?!  I sure do.  It is so beautiful with its silvery exterior warmed by a gold glow from within.  Mercury glass is the term for "silvered glass" which was commonly manufactured in the US between 1852-80.  True mercury glass has a double wall between which the silvering solution was applied (which contained silver nitrate and grape sugar). source.
Today we have reproduction mercury glass.  You can tell the difference because it doesn't have a double layer of glass.  It doesn't really matter, though.  The reproduction pieces are really pretty.  
Everything from ornaments, to light fixtures and lamps to candles and cake stands.  There is a wide range of gorgeous items on the market right now in mercury glass.  Pottery Barn, Ballard Design, World Market, and Anthropologie are some main sources that I used here.
Take a look at this mercury glass chandelier! here

 
I would love to get these mercury glass knobs for...something...anything! here

There is even a process using spray paint to create your own look alike mercury glass!  I might want to try that with the frame of a mirror or picture frame.  I think I feel a DIY post coming on...
Day 30  I am thankful for the gift that is my life.  There is hope, joy and love every day.  That    
                  is truly something to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! Thanks for the "lesson" on Mercury glass! I have something new I can look for when antiquing with my best antiquing buddy!! I love anything glass....I love how elegant it can make a setting and how it can reflect and light. It can open up an otherwise tiny, dark room and give it depth and dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. It does add a ton of depth to either a moody dark space or an already airy light space. Good luck antiquing...let us know what you find!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...